Notes about the Plenary
This year’s assembly is a business assembly, meaning there are fewer workshops and more time in plenary. The assembly will be considering resolutions and memorials, voting for synod council positions and other committee positions, and considering the budget for the next year.
Nomination Form-2017- Fillable (works best when saved FIRST, before filling it out)
Nominations need to be submitted by September 1.
This year there will be an election for Synod Council Vice President (4 yr term, lay). Please be prayerfully considering the nominations for this position. Nominations for Synod Council Vice President can be submitted until September 1.
This year there will be an election for Synod Council Secretary (4 yr term; clergy or lay). Please be prayerfully considering the nominations for this position. Nominations for Synod Council Secretary can be submitted until September 1.
The other positions open for election on the Synod Council are:
- North Mission District (1) Lay Female (3 yr. term): Includes 1st Coast, Heart of Florida, Pinelands, Panhandle & Flagler-Volusia Conferences
- Southeast Mission District (1) Clergy (male or female, 3 yr. term): Includes Miami-Dade, Broward-Bahamas, Tradewinds & Space Coast Conferences
- Southwest Mission District (1) Lay Male (3 yr. term): Includes Lake, Mid-Gulf, Tampa, Sun Coast, Gulf Coast & Caloosa Conferences
- Southwest Mission District (1) Person of Color or Language Other than English (PCLE) (male or female, 3 yr. term): Includes Lake, Mid-Gulf, Tampa, Sun Coast, Gulf Coast & Caloosa Conferences
- Youth (1) (Male or Female, 2 yr. term)
Additional elections for:
Consultation Committee–2 positions (in good standing for a six year term)
- Two Lay (Male or Female)
- One Clergy (Male or Female)
Nominations from the floor are strongly discouraged. Please submit nominations before September 1. The person being nominated has to agree to be nominated and has to fill out a nomination form. A fillable nomination form can be downloaded, saved and emailed to Sr. Michelle Collins (email@example.com). Please include a photo with the nomination form.
The Assembly will also be considering resolutions and memorials this year. Resolutions are actions for the synod. Memorials are sent on to the churchwide unit for consideration by the ELCA Church Council or by the 2019 ELCA Churchwide Assembly. Resolutions from the floor are also strongly discouraged, so please submit your resolutions early. Review the standing rules of procedure regarding resolutions at assembly. Memorials and Resolutions should be submitted to the synod office before the Assembly so they can be reviewed by the Committee on Reference and Council. Resolutions and Memorials from the floor are strongly discouraged.
In this memo, learn more about resolutions and memorials at synod assemblies.
Workshops at the Assembly
Since this assembly is a business assembly, there will not be much time for workshops. Assembly feedback has consistently recommended that the agenda provide time for networking and relationship building. This year’s assembly agenda reflects that. Groups may organize for informal conversations during meal times. The Connections Cafe will provide display space and opportunity for networking and connections.