Is God calling you to public ministry?
Would you like more information about becoming an ELCA rostered minister, either to Word and Service (consecrated Deacon) or Word and Sacrament (ordained Pastor)?
I feel that God is Calling me to public ministry.
One who serves the ELCA in public ministry as a consecrated deacon or an ordained pastor is called a “rostered minister.”
Where do I begin?
- Information/Discernment Assistance: Vocation – Become a Leader
- Vision and Expectations for Word and Service Ministry
- Vision and Expectations for Word and Sacrament Ministry
- Call: Connie Schmucker, Assistant to the Bishop for Leadership, email@example.com, 407-620-8564
What is the Candidacy Process?
Before you enter seminary, you must enter into the candidacy process if it is your intent to become a rostered leader in the ELCA. The Candidacy Committee journeys alongside the candidate along with the candidate’s home congregation and the seminary. The seminary provides opportunity for formation and education. Then Candidacy Committee provides oversight of the formation/educational process and the candidate’s overall readiness to serve the ELCA as a rostered leader.
- General Explanation: Vocation – Become a Leader
- Process Overview: Candidacy Manual
- Getting Started: Candidacy Packet: firstname.lastname@example.org – email@example.com
- ELCA Seminaries: Interactive Map to find a seminary
- Candidates not attending an ELCA seminary: Seminary Affiliation
- To be submitted after positive entrance decision: Candidate Accompaniment Plan
I feel the Call to serve God, but I don’t feel Called to go to seminary. What can I do?
Synod Parish Deacons: The Synod Parish Deacon program provides lay members with training for intentional service with their pastor in their home congregation. A synod parish deacon is not an ELCA rostered minister. Synod Deacon
diakonia: Local opportunities for theological study. Can be a preparatory program to become a Synod Parish Deacon. diakonia
Mobility and Call Process forms: www.elca.org
Become a Part of the Candidacy Committee!
We are currently seeking nominations of lay females who evidence a strong faith, worship faithfully, are active in the life of their congregation, have a positive and enthusiastic spirit, a commitment to follow through and would like to be a part of the formation/education of future pastors and ELCA deacons.
For more information on the Candidacy Committee Member Position, click here and read the position description.
Ready to apply? Email Connie Schmucker at firstname.lastname@example.org.