PRACTICE DISCIPLESHIP RETREAT 2019
PD2018-Schedule(as an example of how this retreat looked in 2018)
REGISTRATION (coming soon)
THE RETREAT is designed for youth leaders and Christian education leaders (paid and unpaid) to come together, build community, learn, grow, relax, reenergize and reconnect!
What will the weekend look like?
- Thursday evening gathering for networking, fellowship and time to relax before the learning sessions begin on Friday.
- Friday Intensive Workshops from 9:30-5:00
- Church Safety: How to Create a Safety Plan for Your Church. Designing a whole church approach to safety for your unique church setting. Led by Judy Washburn, Vice-President for Advocacy CENetwork of the ELCA faithfulteaching.org
- HomeGrown Faith Create a seamless journey for faith formation that connects each generation, age and stage of life. Led by Linda Staats, founder of HomeGrown Faith. homegrownfaith.net.
- Friday If you are not coming for the Intensive, join us for worship on Friday evening at 7:00 PM followed by a general session and then hospitality.
- Saturday workshops on youth ministry and Christian education topics.
- Sunday We will close on Sunday with one workshop, wrap up discussions and worship followed by lunch.
Sound like a lot? Don’t worry! We have also built in some play time for you to renew and relax!
Can’t attend the whole event? That is ok! Participants can attend whatever days they are able and the price will reflect that. This weekend is built for you – come and join us as we learn, worship, and grow together as the Church!
Kuehner Center 3 nights (Motel Style Rooms)
Double Occupancy: $140 through September 3 $165 after September 3
Single Occupancy: $165 through September 3 $190 after September 3
Kuehner Center 2 nights (Motel Style Rooms)
Double Occupancy: $115 through September 3 $140 after September 3
Single Occupancy: $140 through September 3 $165 after September 3
Kuehner Center 1 night (Motel Style Rooms)
Double Occupancy: $95 through September 3 $120 after September 3
Single Occupancy: $120 through September 3 $145 after September 3
Morgan Village Cabin 3 nights (Air Conditioned, carpeted, interior bathroom/shower)
$120 through September 3 $145 after September 3
Morgan Village Cabin 2 nights (Air Conditioned, carpeted, interior bathroom/shower)
$95 through September 3 $120 after September 3
Morgan Village Cabin 1 night (Air Conditioned, carpeted, interior bathroom/shower)
$70 through September 3 $95 after September 3
Commuter – 1 Day (includes lunch)
$55 through September 3 $80 after September 3
Commuter – 2 Days (includes lunch both days)
$80 through September 3 $105 after September 3
Registration Link (coming soon)
For more information about the Practice Discipleship retreat, see the FAQ’s tab. Also, scholarships are available! Please contact Sue Mendenhall (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are in need of financial assistance to attend this retreat.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When will the retreat take place?
The retreat will officially begin late on Thursday, September 27th and run through the morning of Sunday, September 30th. You have the option of attending all or part of the retreat. Prices are adjusted accordingly.
- Where will the retreat take place?
The retreat will be held at Luther Springs Camp and Retreat Center outside of Gainesville, Florida.
- What are the accommodations like?
You don’t have to worry about sleeping outside, that is, unless you’d like to sleep outside. For our weekend, rather, we’ll be utilizing Luther Springs’ motel-style rooms and cabins. Both the motel-style rooms and cabins have restrooms, showers, and air-conditioning. When you register, you’ll be asked to share your lodging preference.
- Who is the retreat for?
This Practice Discipleship weekend is meant to engage and challenge youth leaders of all backgrounds. Whether the youth leader is full-time, part-time, a lay or rostered worker, unpaid, a volunteer, a parent, retired, a student, etc. – anywhere in between – they are welcome to attend. One of the greatest gifts of being in Christian community with each other is the ability to come together in spite of differences.
- How much does the retreat cost?
The cost of the retreat ranges from $55 to $155 based on how many nights you are staying and your housing accommodations.
- Is financial assistance available?
If you’re a youth leader in the synod and are seeking help with the cost of registration, let’s have a conversation.We’d hate for you to not attend because of cost. Scholarships are available. Send Nadine Anderson an email at email@example.com
- When does registration close?
- Who is leading and hosting the retreat?
The Practice Discipleship retreat is lead by a team of youth ministers in our Synod. This retreat is being coordinated by Nadine Anderson. Nadine serves full-time as the Director of Education with Grace Lutheran in Tampa.
- What happened to LESS; why the name change to Practice Discipleship?
The first few years of this weekend retreat were branded with the name LESS; LESS stood for Leading, Equipping, Sending, Serving. Many of the elements from the LESS weekend retreat were taken from the ELCA’s Practice Discipleship initiative. As Practice Discipleship has continued to grow over the past years, it was realized that the heart and focus of our future weekend retreats really embody what Practice Discipleship is all about: practicing discipleship. And let’s face it, we’ve got too many acronyms as is.
- Is there anything I can do to help with the retreat?
Thanks for asking! Whether or not you’re attending, please pray for youth leaders around our state and beyond, along with uplifting our weekend together. If you’re interested in playing a role during the retreat, get in touch with Nadine Anderson.
- My question isn’t listed! What do I do?!?
Still have some questions? Perfect! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and she will try to respond as quickly as possible.
INTENSIVE CARE COURSE
Friday morning, registration opens at 9AM.
Rev. Melissa Cooper, from Vibrant Faith Ministry will be with us on Friday for an all-day intensive course on Intergenerational Ministry.
The retreat booklet will be posted during the 2018 Practice Discipleship Retreat.
LESS – Leading, Equipping, Sending, Serving – September 23-25, 2011
Faith Formation in a Missional Age – October 4-6, 2013
Frame – October 23-26, 2014
Story – October 1-4, 2015
Materials from previous retreat can be obtained by emailing Mike Gentes.