Dear Friends in Christ – this has been an exciting year for the Florida-Bahamas Synod and the Global Mission Committee (GMC). In our bi-monthly phone conference meetings we share the news of what is happening with our Companion Churches and look forward to planning joint projects and mission trips.
(Pictured on left – Roger Suarez, Bishop Ramon Miguel Benito, and Bishop Schaefer at La Finca, Nueva Gerona, Cuba– March 2015)
Just to give you an idea of what has been going on with us and our companions-
- There was an extremely successful “Raise the Roof” project completed in Fond des Negres, Haiti!
- We have 6 committee members signed up to attend the Region 9 Networking meeting in Atlanta the end of April!
- We had a strong presence at all 4 of the Bishop’s Lenten Visits and the offerings went to World Hunger!
- We are building a FB Synod World Hunger Team!
- We have 3 people who will attend the World Hunger Leadership training in Chicago in July!
- We’re funding a young man from Surinam to attend the Synod Assembly and Bishops’ School at Luther Springs!
- We have 6 or more people planning to go to Surinam/Guyana in August to attend Danielle Dokman’s ordination!
- The Cuba Team is working on a 3-year Project Concept Note project for the La Finca!
- We’re going to have a race-car themed display at the Synod Assembly!
- This past November 15 GMC members participated in a training with Carl Stecker and Mary Campbell from the ELCA offices in Chicago. Out of this training came a new form that we are using with our companion churches – called a Project Concept Note (PCN) – that has helped bring clarity, focus, and accountability to the process and relationship. We have used it on several occasions and with different projects and find that both parties (the Companion Church, or requestor, and the GMC) are learning how this form can help ensure positive outcomes and deepen the relationship.
Unbelievable, right? The Holy Spirit is moving in and among us – calling us to new visions and projects with our companions and within our Synod. Currently, there are 3 openings on the Global Mission Committee. If you are reading this and interested in becoming a member, or know of someone who might be interested, please contact PJ May at firstname.lastname@example.org.