Where hope finds help.
Imagine a fearful plunge over the waterfall of domestic abuse. After terrifying seconds under water, survivors often find themselves gasping, thrashing for help. But they are not alone. Outstretched arms from Harbor House of Central Florida, lengthened and strengthened by your support, pull people to safety and to hope.
When you support Harbor House, we offer not only emergency shelter, court injunctions and our hotline. We’re there before the desperate calls to 911, before abusers lash out in anger. We’re there to prevent – and end – domestic abuse through education. When you partner with us, we reach and teach everyone from children to business leaders to Recognize, Respond and Refer. We also equip law enforcement and all first-responders to effectively and empathetically support survivors.
When we all protect ourselves and those around us, we ensure everyone lives safely in our community. Only then can we end the physical and psychological damage to survivors. Only then can we stop the hemorrhaging cost of abuse on law enforcement, justice systems, and businesses.
Come to the top of the waterfall with us. It’s where we not only help survivors avoid the dangerous fall but where we start to prevent it from ever happening.
Harbor House earns the trust of survivors when we help them find safety and a path of empowerment. In a similar way, the financial transparency of Harbor House ears the trust of our donors and partners. Each year, with your investment, 87% goes directly to our survivors, while 13% is used for the costs to run the business and to secure contributions that make our work possible..
While the impact of one person’s donation is critical and makes such a difference at Harbor House, think of the impact that 200 congregations in the Florida-Bahamas Synod could make! Here’s how your congregation can bless and made a difference with Harbor House:
- Receive a “noisy offering” prior to the synod assembly. Checks are great, but collecting coinage and bringing that to the assembly to put into the large water jug with everyone else’s coins is a great visual of how congregations working together creates a larger blessing. The money received will go towards a much needed generator.
- Collect items from your conference list. We have taken the needs expressed from Harbor House and divided them among each of our conferences. Please refer to the list below.
- Collect the following gift cards:
a. Wal-Mart, Target & Bealls Outlet = $10, $15 & $20 increments
b. RaceTrac, Wawa, 7-11 & FlyingJ = $20 increments
c. McDonalds, Burger King, ChickFilA & TacoBell = $5 increments
d. Visa/Mastercard for incidentals/gas = $5, $10, $15 & $20 increments
Each congregation may choose to hold a drive for items (or a specific item) from your Conference’s list. Or put the word out for people to just bring gift cards (we will have a “tree” at the assembly where all the gift cards brought in will be attached!). Or take up a “noisy” offering of loose change during April or May. You can do just one, two, or all three! Be creative! Be generous! Be the blessing for this ministry that will change lives for our women and children in need, right here in Central Florida! And know you are going to make a huge difference in the lives of people who really need to see what the love of Jesus is all about.
There will also be an area for people to make cards and write encouraging notes for those who are engaged with the ministry of Harbor House. Finally, we will have on hand people from this ministry to answer any questions you may have or if you want to learn more about this ministry here in Central Florida.
Thank you in advance for your prayers and support!
Rev. Julie Frank, Rev. Melinda Plumley, & Darlene Kaiser
Service Project Coordinators
COLLECTION ITEMS FOR ASSEMBLY:
Let Us Bless the Ministry of Harbor House
We encourage each congregation to gather items listed below (by conference) and bring them to the synod assembly in June. Congregations may also wish to donate a gift card (see below). We will also be accepting loose change that will go towards a much needed new generator. Be creative! Be generous! Be the blessing for this ministry that will change lives for women and children in need here in Central Florida! And know you are going to make a huge difference in the lives of people who really need to see what the love of Jesus is all about. Thank you in advance for your gifts!
- Wal-Mart, Target & Bealls Outlet = $10, $15 & $20 increments
- RaceTrac, Wawa, 7-11 & FlyingJ = $20 increments
- McDonalds, Burger King, ChickFilA & TacoBell = $5 increments
- Visa/Mastercard for incidentals/gas = $5, $10, $15 & $20 increments
Coins for a noisy offering (cash also accepted!)
Heart of Florida, Gulf Coast, Miami-Dade & Panhandle: Baby Needs
- Baby Bottles (new)
- Toddler cups (new)
- Strollers (single or double)
- Baby wash & Baby Lotion
- Diapers (larger sizes)
- Baby Wipes
Broward-Bahamas, Tradewinds & Mid-Gulf: Personal Care
- Underwear (new, all sizes women and children)
- Socks (new, all sizes women and children)
- Baby Lotion
- Hair Conditioner
- Hair brush/comb/hair products
- Body Wash
- Women’s razors
- Maxi Pads/Tampons
- Liquid Hand Soap
Pinelands & Lake: Cleaning
- Spray Cleaner
- Hand and Dish Soap
First Coast, Caloosa, Flagler/Volusia & Sun Coast: New Safe Home
- Sheets (new, twin size)
- Blankets (new, twin & full sizes)
- Pillows & Pillow cases (new)
- Towels (new)
- Silverware (not plastic)
Space Coast & Tampa: Miscellaneous
- Tennis Shoes (new, women & children)
- School Back Packs (new)
- Suitcases, travel bags (new, gently used)
- Zip Lock Bags (all sizes)
- Bibles – (Hispanic or Children’s)